View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Cubdriver

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.

I have been flying G1000 glass cockpits the last few years. They are wonderful for how they integrate cruise control, present and organize satellite download data, increase accuracy, cohere presented data, and permit better use of the panel space than in former systems.

One problem I see with them though is the high density of displayed information tends to confuse the primary students. They see all this stuff on there which means nothing to them and they spend a lot of mental energy trying to sort it out. The learning curve is quick and the first few hours is more difficult. There seems to be a higher investment factor in terms of initial study for the average student.

Some other minor problems- glass panel systems increase the complexity of wiring schematics, and for instructors to fail instruments is more difficult because of computer reboot times. They are also kind of expensive compared to analog equipment, but considering the many benefits the additional cost seems justified for most airplanes.

When you know how to use them properly glass systems increase the safety margin and a buyer is led into investing in more into safety features than in the past. For example, traffic information systems for aircraft without onboard radar were rarely purchased in 4 seat aircraft before the advent glass cockpit systems, now you get it as standard equipment in almost every trainer. The ones I fly have satellite download capability and vertical navigation autopilots, among other things. This was unheard of ten years ago.

Last edited by Cubdriver; 04-12-2009 at 03:04 PM.