View Single Post
Old 09-10-2006, 10:26 AM
Skygirl
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006

Originally Posted by Lacedup18 View Post
Hello guys, I am new to the forums. I am 17 years old and am a freshman at Middlesex community college in NJ. Ive always liked taking rides on planes and in the past 2 years have seriously considered flying them as a career. I do have a passion for flying, but I am highly motivated by money. Its probally a 60%/40% with money being 60%. The thing is my parents make a lot of money, but are unwilling to give me any really for college. I really want to attend Embry riddle for Aviation engineering major and air traffic controll Major. After my four years id be in about $200k Worth of debt. My plans would be to get my Bachelors Degree from Embry riddle and then do 4-5 Years in the air force for flight time. Then I would like to be a commercial Airline pilot for a major airline.
With The college degree and military expierience would I be one of the most likely caniditates to be hired?
Would the $200k + in debt be worth it?
WHat would my starting pay be?
About how much should i be expecting to make in 5 years?

I read a lot of articals saying the average pilot makes about $130k per year, but from the talk on this boared it seems like a lot less.

Thank you for your time
Amari
Uh-Oh, I can feel Skyhigh circling and ready to descend to runaway with this thread....yes, all puns were intended...