View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 05:13 PM
MEMpilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007

Originally Posted by 250 or point 65 View Post
Its interesting that you guys bring that up. The student that I had that used FS were usually the best students.
I won't lie that I believe it to be valuable for instrument training. By that point, aircraft handling has become smooth and brisk so it doesn't interfere anymore in control. However, the guys I have going for their PPL who use flight simulator all share a commonality.

I'm thinking it must be the sensitivity of a joystick or computer yoke (yes I've tried it myself) that makes them feel like something more null needs to be man handled. At any rate, its getting to be a tricky habit to break despite extensive research on how to get them to settle down, relax, and look outside. Of course too, I teach my guys to be laid back on the yoke from the first lesson. These guys have come in from other schools and have been difficult to retrain.

Any thoughts? I like the instrument cover-up with stickies. I didn't have those one day so I just threw my very large pea coat over the entire instrument panel.