View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 07:53 PM
letsfly
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: New Hire

I've never opened myself up for a beating on the forums before so here it goes:

Does anyone that is posting this stuff know what its like to fly in the freakin desert or be away from your family months at a time living in a tent or a hard billet that smells like hell? I get out in Aug and I get it...times are rough, times are hard. For me, I'm taking my reserve job and getting out. I can't stand the four months deployed to the desert every 15 months on top of being on the road around 10 days every 40 to 45 days....oh ya and all of this is on top of the possible ground deployment to OIF/OEF for 179 or 365 days. And this is a C-17 junior 0-4s schedule. Talk to the co-pilots or better yet the C-130 guys and ask them what they think of active duty.

I appreciate all the retired/separated/civilian guys comments about keeping the bird in the hand, but you have to put yourself in our shoes. I think if you've been planning for this (saving), and have a reserve job then now is the perfect time to get out. If it takes a me couple years to get on with someone and I blow all the money I've saved well then that is exactly what I saved it for - and I'll get some much deserved time off to hang out with my wife and son.

Good luck to you and to me...I have a feeling we are both going to need it.