View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 08:01 PM
250 or point 65
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008

Originally Posted by NoyGonnaDoIt View Post
It's all in one reg - 61.51, the universal rule of logging flight time. You never have to look anywhere else unless 61.51 tells you to go there. Not exactly, you have to add some other regs to determine how to log some types of flying, ie why safety pilot time is PIC.

Using 61.51, my answers are a bit different than RickAir's.

==============================
61.51(e) Logging pilot-in-command flight time.
(1) A sport, recreational, private, or commercial pilot may log pilot-in-command time only for that flight time during which that person--
(i) Is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated or has privileges;

Three and only three conditions to logging PIC: (1) at least a sport pilot certificate; (2) the applicable aircraft rating printed on the back of your pilot certificate (or endorsed sport pilot privileges); and (3) being the sole manipulator of the controls. aaaaand a student pilot on solo, aaaaand a CFI giving dual, aaaaand an ATP in 121.

So, if you are comm single and the jump plane is a single that does not require a type rating, you can log PIC time for every .1 that you are the sole manipulator of the controls. Currency doesn't matter for logging. I disagree with you here. Rickair is right on. There is no way that I can log or be PIC if I am not current if there are passengers on the plane. If neither of us are giving dual, one of us has to just be a passenger. I'm not allowed to carry passengers. Logging it *may* not be illegal, but it would definately be an admission of guilt.

61.51(h) Logging training time.
(1) A person may log training time when that person receives training from an authorized instructor in an aircraft, flight simulator, or flight training device.

You can't log dual. 61.51 says that instruction received may only be logged with an authorized instructor who endorses the instruction in your logbook. If your trainer is not a CFI, no dual.

61.57(1) ...no person may act as a pilot in command of an aircraft carrying passengers ... unless that person has made at least three takeoffs and three landings within the preceding 90 days, and -
(i) The person acted as the sole manipulator of the flight controls; and
(ii) The required takeoffs and landings were performed in an aircraft of the same category, class, and type (if a type rating is required)...

The reg does not say you need to be the PIC to log the landings. And the reg does not say that you can't fly the airplane and ado the landings with someone else on board - just that you can't be the pilot in command when you do. I don't buy this either. Again, only one of us can be PIC at a time because neither of us are giving dual. The currency requirement is exactly that, for the time that I'm PIC, I cannot have a passenger on board.

Is the trainer just a passenger?

Is the trainer a pilot? Is he current? Is he the one who is ACTING as PIC (responsible) during these training flights? Chances are the answer to all three is "yes." When you are at the controls, he's not the passenger, =you= are. Ok, well, this would be giving dual that he's not able to give.

As the PIC, the trainer can let you be the sole manipulator of the controls.
So long as the trainer is willing to take the responsibility ob being the pilot in command of the flight while you fly and land the airplane, the time is yours to log as PIC and the landings count for currency.

That's the FAA stuff. Insurance might present different issues, but as far as the FAA is concerned, it's all legit flight time. And what I would be concerned with from a reg perspective isn't logging legit FAA time. I'd be concerned with a logbook that listed "flight time" only without also including a legit 61.51 category.
Yeah, I really don't feel comfortable putting that time down in my logbook according to your interpretations. Mr. FAA probably wouldn't buy it either. I don't feel comfortable that I could justify my logbook to a Fed with that interpretation.

My understanding of the regs was exactly as Rickair stated. What I was looking for was ANOTHER reg that may be an exemption to 61.51. Something like "supervised solo" or that a person in a management position can sign someone off for an SIC type rating. Perhaps there'd be something like that that allows a non-CFI to supervise time to achieve insurance requirements or company training requirements.