View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 09:08 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by NoyGonnaDoIt View Post

The reg does not say you need to be the PIC to log the landings. And the reg does not say that you can't fly the airplane and ado the landings with someone else on board - just that you can't be the pilot in command when you do.

Is the trainer just a passenger?

Is the trainer a pilot? Is he current? Is he the one who is ACTING as PIC (responsible) during these training flights? Chances are the answer to all three is "yes." When you are at the controls, he's not the passenger, =you= are.

As the PIC, the trainer can let you be the sole manipulator of the controls.
So long as the trainer is willing to take the responsibility ob being the pilot in command of the flight while you fly and land the airplane, the time is yours to log as PIC and the landings count for currency.

That's the FAA stuff. Insurance might present different issues, but as far as the FAA is concerned, it's all legit flight time. And what I would be concerned with from a reg perspective isn't logging legit FAA time. I'd be concerned with a logbook that listed "flight time" only without also including a legit 61.51 category.
Maybe. The regs don't seem to specifically exclude this, but I personally would need to see an FAA legal opinion to feel comfortable. Without a written legal opinion, it seems that a particular FSDO could interpret this any way they wanted.