View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 11:03 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by jaded View Post
While I agree and disagree with you. Im leaning more towards the disagree side since I'm thinking about taking a TOWOP myself. But since CASS is a reciprocal agreement between airlines, if you can't reciprocate that agreement (since you're inactive) It shouldn't be allowed.

CASS has nothing whatsoever to do with airline reciprocal agreements. It is a government system used to verify your legal (TSA) eligibility for cockpit access.

Originally Posted by jaded View Post
However, if the inactive pilot can be responsible and of course let other active pilots on first especially ones that are going to work or home then I can't see it harming anyone. It might make everyone actually a little happy and give a little bit of an incentive for pilots to take a TOWOP especially, if the company really needs it.
There is some time limit where the company must take you out of CASS (one year?). Many companies do it sooner than that, ie ANY time you go on leave.

But in in this environment, it is to EVERYONE's benefit for those who are able to take voluntary leave to do so. Companies should allow those folks as much travel access as the law (TSA) allows. It might keep some junior FO with three kids and a stay-at-home spouse employed.

Hopefully any pilot on recreational travel, regardless of employment status, would defer the jumpseat to someone going to work.