View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 03:42 AM
Winged Wheeler
Libertarian Resistance

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: 757 FO
Default very reasonably said

Originally Posted by Pilotpip View Post
Regardless of if you believe in global warming, climate change, or whatever they're calling it these days I think we can all agree that there's nothing wrong with recycling and reducing our consumption to help those that are here after us.
I can't speak for everyone, but I bet a lot of the "deniers" would agree with me when I say that we don't pour our oil into the storm sewer, we don't throw old batteries in the campfire, etc.

There is nothing wrong, as you say, with recycling or reduction of comsumption. There is also nothing that necessarily connects either of these things with helping future generations. If recycling some item is economically or energy inefficient it is wasteful. That would tend, on a large scale, to impoverish future generations.

Environmentalists have a tendancy not to want to debate things like this--thay want me to be satisfied with "all recycling is good", and when I am not, they have a statist urge to pass laws to force me to comply.

Recycling should be taken, case by case, on the product's own merits. Some recycling is efficient and productive, some recycling is inefficient and wasteful.

There is nothing worse for the environment than large groups of people whose basic economic needs are not being met.

WW