View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 01:58 PM
BrandedPilot
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2008
Position: EMB145XR; 1931 WACO QCF-2

After piquing my curiosity in gliders I learned a few things (as a CFI) - I would recommend a new pilot aspirant go fly gliders for up to 200 hours at $5-$15 per hour before heading toward powered flight. A huge majority of the time transfers to fixed wing flight!

Total cost is far far below becoming a commercial powered aircraft pilot, and then just "add on" the powered flight requirement.

LSA's, there are a bunch of people that have found that the cost of an LSA is as much or much greater than the cost of a used C152, Archer, etc - and in addition the insurance companies are not insuring people who do not meet the training and experience required of current certificated pilots specifically if they do not retain a current medical certificate, twice annually flight reviews, etc.

LSA's have a huge roadblock to incude resistance of CFI's and DPE's to earn the additional ratings for the low productivity and percieved lowered saftey of LSA flying. A local DPE told me there was "no way" he would ever sign off or pursue LSA. I have to support him.