View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 02:43 PM
Pilotpip
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2005
Position: Retired

I did read what you wrote. However you have to understand that at this point, flight schools are doing everything they can to stay afloat. Switching from aircraft that burn 10-12gph to aircraft that burn 5-6gph is huge.

Truth be told, most training, particularly private, is done in the pattern. You'll likely spend most of your time at less than 100kts. Hell the TB-9 wouldn't do 100kts.

I'm not familiar with remos, but the school wouldn't be investing in the aircraft if they didn't feel the support was there. Since you brought up parks, I'll use them as an example. Lack of support from Socata was one of the biggest reasons they replaced the fleet. They bought a couple aircraft from Riddle when they switched to cessnas but those aircraft had a ton of corrosion. If a student bent a spar or struck a tail hard enough the plane was often down for months why they found a replacement part. The traditional manufacturers aren't immune from vanishing overnight.

And 250, the DA-20 had more shoulder room than a 172. Never had a problem with it and yes, I liked flying it much more than a 172 or TB-9 for a number of reasons.