View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 05:21 PM
joepilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: 747 Captain (Ret,)
Wink

Originally Posted by KingAirDriver View Post
Congrats on getting the 'Van position! My first 135 job was also in a Caravan flying freight. When I passed my checkride I had something like 1200.5 TT. I really miss that plane; I had so much fun flying it.

I'll echo the earlier mentions about not getting slow in ice. How well the boots work will probably depend on how well they're taken care of. If it's like most freight Caravans I've seen, they're most likely neglected. You'll need a bit of airspeed to blow the ice off. I've heard a technique used by some guys is getting a block of altitude, descending and blowing the boots with the higher IAS. Of course, I heard about that AFTER I left that job, haha.

You'll learn this in training, but I will say it now... reduce the torque a little bit BEFORE pushing the Inertial Separator in, otherwise you'll probably wind up with bloody knuckles. I speak from experience! You'll do it at least once!
Some of the boots are of a very interesting type: You have to let enough ice accumulate in order to seal the holes in them before you can get them to inflate.

Joe