View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 04:46 PM
KC10 FATboy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Legacy FO

Myoface, the problem is, this is exactly opposite of what the President said last night.

What is concerning, the President was relatively calm, collected, and directed us not to panic (a good thing). They passed on how this virus wasn't an airborne threat -- you must come into contact with mucus material (someone sneezing, coughing). The virus isn't airborne.

When asked specifically by reporters about whether the US should shut down travel between Mexico, or perhaps hault public activity unless absolutely necessary, the President said that based on the evidence and the position of the "experts", that was not necessary.

But, here comes Calamity Joe, who goes on national tv, and gets dooped by a loaded question and says exactly the opposite of what the President said. And in doing so, almost incited a panic response to this outbreak; "it isn't safe to travel anywhere."

Joe Biden ... "I would tell members of my family, and I have, I wouldn't go anywhere in confined places now. It's not that it's going to Mexico, it's you're in a confined aircraft when one person sneezes it goes all the way through the aircraft. That's me. I would not be, at this point, if they had another way of transportation suggesting they ride the subway. So, from my perspective, what it relates to is mitigation. If you’re out in the middle of a field when someone sneezes, that’s one thing. If you’re in a closed aircraft or closed container or closed car or closed classroom, it’s a different thing.”

After hearing about this (as I performed pre-flight duties for my airline job this morning), my first question was, "I wonder what he knows that the government isn't telling us?" Second, if the VP really feels this way, or has legitmate information to back his claims, then why is the "official" stance of the government, "keep your hands clean, cover you're face when you cough, and you'll be ok, no need to shut down travel"????

I wonder how much Biden's words alone are going to cost this industry?