Thread: Happy Earth Day
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 06:26 PM
jungle
With The Resistance

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Burning the Agitprop of the Apparat

Originally Posted by N2264J View Post
I think your little monkey wrench is a bust.

- It's a blog entry trying to pass for science. To me, it showcases why peer reviewed science is still the gold standard.

This is where I packed it in. I think Asher is a hack.
Well there is certainly no shortage of gas in the air on this subject. Peer reviewed. I like that. Let's see what the peers say on the UN report you think so highly of:

The over 700 dissenting scientists are now more than 13 times the number of UN scientists (52) who authored the media-hyped IPCC 2007 Summary for Policymakers. The 59 additional scientists hail from all over the world, including Japan, Italy, UK, Czech Republic, Canada, Netherlands, the U.S. and many are affiliated with prestigious institutions including, NASA, U.S. Navy, U.S. Defense Department, Energy Department, U.S. Air Force, the Philosophical Society of Washington (the oldest scientific society in Washington), Princeton University, Tulane University, American University, Oregon State University, U.S. Naval Academy and EPA.

The explosion of skeptical scientific voices is accelerating unabated in 2009. A March 14, 2009 article in the Australian revealed that Japanese scientists are now at the forefront of rejecting man-made climate fears prompted by the UN IPCC.

Prominent Japanese Geologist Dr. Shigenori Maruyama, a professor at the Tokyo Institute of Technology’s Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences who has authored more than 125 scientific publications, said in March 2009 that “there was widespread skepticism among his colleagues about the IPCC's fourth and latest assessment report that most of the observed global temperature increase since the mid-20th century ‘is very likely due to the observed increase in anthropogenic greenhouse gas concentrations.” Maruyama noted that when this question was raised at a Japan Geoscience Union symposium last year, ‘the result showed 90 per cent of the participants do not believe the IPCC report.” [Also See: The prestigious International Geological Congress, dubbed the geologists' equivalent of the Olympic Games, was held in Norway in August 2008 and prominently featured the voices of scientists skeptical of man-made global warming fears. [ See: Skeptical scientists overwhelm conference: '2/3 of presenters and question-askers were hostile to, even dismissive of, the UN IPCC' & see full reports here & here –More analyses of recent developments see report’s introduction here. ]

200 plus more pages of peer dissent here:.: U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works :: Minority Page :.

Latest NASA data:The temperature in the United States in 2008 was not much different than the 1951-1980 mean, which makes it cooler than all the previous years this decade.

NASA - 2008 Was Earth's Coolest Year Since 2000

I'm sure you won't like my sources, but it is hard to argue with official testimony far removed from grant grubbing and the political motives of the UN.