View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 08:40 AM
Winged Wheeler
Libertarian Resistance

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: 757 FO

Originally Posted by N2264J View Post
Irritable much?

Actually, there's nothing inconsistent when using the terms global climate destabilization or global warming - it's just that the former is more descriptive.

At any rate, I'm drawn to the substance rather than the semantics.

YouTube - Sir David Attenborough: The Truth About Climate Change
OK, your perception is keen. I was irritable when I wrote that--score one (but only one ) for your side.

You are right when you say that we have arrived at a discussion of semantics. From where I sit, it looks like the term "climate change" (or destabilization, or whatever they call it next week) is less descriptive than is "global warming", in that it is less specific. So the temperature can go up or down, flood or drought, and so on. The less specific term allows you to claim that whatever weather you don't like is climate change.

The impression I have is that there is a movement away from the term "global warming" because it is verifiably true that the temps have begun to cool, and have been doing so for about 7 years now. I suspect that if the sun came back to life and our temperatures began to get hotter, we'd hear the last of "climate change", and the term "global warming" would be fashionable again. That is just my take on things.

All that aside, I thought your reference link was the worst one you've posted so far. I watched the video which has "climate change" in the title, but all they talked about was global warming. It had some other holes too--let me know if you are interested and I'll tell you what they are.

Last edited by Winged Wheeler; 05-06-2009 at 11:33 AM. Reason: improve punctuation for clarity