View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 10:14 AM
J Dawg
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007

Originally Posted by MD11Pilot View Post
According to the union's new FAQ...no DC8 FEs are allowed to bid RDG/JS until after they are consolidated as FOs in their new status. Now the only options we have are to take a short term or long term LOA. Nice.
I'm in the same boat. However, I think we still can bid for any RDG/JS...which still goes toward the May 26 savings deadline. However, we will not be awarded a RDG/JS period before consolidation, and that award will be a period mutually agreed upon by pilot and company. That's how I understand it anyway....someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Q: I'm on the DC-8, I'd like to sign up one of the voluntary programs but since I don't know when I'll be trained, I do not want to convert my current fully paid active (but non-working) status to a half pay or no pay "volunteer" for one of the MOU programs. How can I volunteer and not run this risk?
A: The parties have agreed that DC-8 crewmembers may request VLOAs, JS, or RDG and that those requests will be approved with the understanding and agreement that they will not (except at the crewmember's option) overlap the time that you are in a fully paid active (but not working) status. You may be awarded a VLOA, JS, or RDG (according to your preferences), but any award would become effective no earlier than your first scheduled day back to work."

Q: As a DC8 FE, I would like to TRY and volunteer for a RDG/JS after I'm on FO pay. I cannot afford it supporting a family of 4 on FE pay. How long will I be on FE pay? Am I safe trying to volunteer for RDG/JS in October or November?
A: The parties have agreed that F/Es on the DC8 are not eligible to participate in RDG or JS as long as they remain on that fleet and seat. However, you may volunteer for any bid period even though you may not have completed the consolidation flying as a F/O. In such case you will need to contact the Company after completing the consolidation as a F/O, to mutually agree upon substitute bid periods in which to complete the RDG/JS commitment.

Bid for any JS/RDG before May 26, enjoy time off - fully paid - before training, then make up that RDG/JS with a substitute period in the future.