View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009, 01:41 PM
flyingprakken
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2009
Position: C172
Default Moving from the office to the cockpit

I am new to this site but I have been reading the forum for a while.

I am sure that something sort of similar has been covered but I wanted recent suggestions and something tailor made to my situation.

I have a PPL with about 100 hours right now. I just turned 27 and I have a four year degree. My plan right now is to finish up my instrument rating and maybe commercial with a Piper Arrow that is owned by family. I want to get about 300-400 hours TT before going to some sort of flight school to finish up to CFII,MEI etc. The Arrow time would be debt free.

Basically I have a good job right now and I want to make a clean break (probably in about 1 and half years but that is not fixed in stone).

I have not had good luck finishing things quickly with Part 61 even when I have had a ton of free time (hard to motivate the instructors sometime). If I quit my job I want something more structured.

I was looking at ATP but I know a lot of people have had problems with them but I like the amount of Twin Time one gets it and I am planning on having the writtens done before I go.

What are some other options I should be considering? As anyone in a similar situation as mine gone to ATP or another flight school and found success? (I also live in Portland, OR which makes flying 4 months out of the year difficult).

Any input for this newbie would be great.