View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009, 03:53 PM
250 or point 65
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008

I've got a couple things for you. I understand your desire to be a professional pilot, but you should do as much research as you can on the current industry. I hate to put it this way, but you are in no rush to get your ratings done because, frankly, there will be no job for you when you finish. I have over 2000 hrs, and part 121 time and I'm competing for the worst, low paying flying jobs with guys who have 10 times the flight time as I do. I'm not putting down your dream. I'm just being as realistic as possible for you so that you can make good decisions about your training.

Since there is no real rush, there is no reason to spend the money for a fast track program like ATP. Yes, you are attracted by the multi time, but training is not the place to build hours, its the place to get your ratings. Let someone else not only pay for your hours, but pay YOU to get your hours. Find a place to instruct, fly cargo, anything you can do to safely get your hours while getting paid.

Finally, when you decide to get your CFI, know that really the only way to get a CFI gig in this economy is to get hired by the place that you do your CFI at. Your CFI training is an interview for a job at the end. Yes you can go to ATP and get your CFI, CFII and MEI in 45 minutes or whatever they are offering, but thats worthless unless they are going to give you a job at the end. Right now, pretty much the only CFIs that flight schools are hiring are their own brand.

Basically what I'm saying is DO NOT RUSH. Take the time to research and make the right financial and career decisions. This is not the economy that will get you in an RJ with 200 hrs. Take your time and do it right.