View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 08:16 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

How could you possibly force pilots to live in base????

Require a local address? OK, I have a crashpad, or I can use my buddy's address.

Require that we not leave domicile on our days off? Now that's a company obligation, ie duty.

I guess you would have to ban recreational travel by pilots...there's no difference between commuting and returning from vacation in europe.

What about the guy who lives in base, but stays out partying before a Sunday AM show? He might be legally sober, but he ain't rested....

Until they can build a breathalyzer which measures fatigue levels this is a silly concept.

I would quit, as would many others. And just for fun I would work up until the last day before the rule took effect, then walk off the job. I think you would see an instant 20%-30% reduction in domestic air travel due to lack of pilots.

Besides the issue here is not really commuting, it is stupidity. Ski all day, redeye across the country, then work all the next day? Most folks can't do that, and even those who have the stamina would then be degraded on the job.