View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Clue32
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: 767 FO

The C-21's left within four months of me getting stationed there in 2003. It was the last bit of the old EUCOM Flight Det to get hacked up besides the CLUE call sign. Later, in '05, I became the battalion flight ops officer for the unit that took over the Stuttgart company and in the spring or summer at the direction of our Battalion Commander we dropped CLUE and GRIT (old SETAF Flight Det Call Sign) and we all went to DUKE.

As I later learned, after a british newspaper published a story on the CIA stealing our JGO47 callsign to fly across Austria, the CLUE and GRIT call signs should have been dropped in 2001 or 2002 when the EUCOM and SETAF flight dets closed; the Call Signs were registered with ICAO for the specific use of those organizations. The new battalion had it's own ICAO approved Call Sign in DUKE that should have been used by all aircraft regardless of where they flew out of. DUKE32 was available so I became that; after all, I controlled the call sign roster.

For those of you flying in and out of Germany for the next 11 months, I'm now ARGUS32 incase you hear it on the radio. Very happy to have kept the 32 for my whole career.