View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 12:47 PM
MEMA300
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: Excessed WB Capt.

Guys nothing is going to change until we (pilots) change. As long as there are guys willing to work for nothing or next to nothing it will never change. I worked for very little but had a plan. When I got close to 30, if I was not real close to getting hired at a major I was going to get out of the aviation business. Fortunately it worked out for me. I was at my commuter for three years then moved on. I was not willing to commute to work and be gone around half the month for what regionals paid at the time.

The regional pay has increased since I left the regional industry, you however, live at the mercy of your regional's contract with their major airline affiliate. Look at Comair and ASA, as soon as you get a good contract they make your airline smaller.

We are our own worst enemies. I know a guy who live out of a truck and his luggage was friggin black garbage bag. He was 30ish and divorced and lived in a truck but he had a job as a pilot. Know any doctors, bankers, lawyers, or insurance agents that would agree to work for that little pay because they loved their job. He!! no. You work to make money unless your independently wealthy. How many bankers are hot bunking in the bronx so they can say they are a NY investment banker? Not one.

Guys we are the problem.