View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009, 06:42 PM
4440driver
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2009
Position: A Desk
Default Have any advice for A&P's?

Hi guys,

I know this site is primarily for pilots, but, unfortunately there aren't any decent site for A&Ps to talk about some of these issues.

I'm 26, I have a B.S. in aviaiton technology (specialization in avionics), my A&P license and a PPL w/ 400hrs. After graduating, I worked at an FBO as a mechanic for 3 years- I learned a lot, I was lucky enough to do alot of the test flights coming out of annual, but I became tired of being poor and having no benefits. Yes- aviation is the same on the Mx side of things. I do farm with the family, on the side, but the operation isn't large enough to support me full time yet.

I now work as a QA person at a company that does a lot of military aircraft contracts and manufacturing. I now live in a cubicle half the time and the other half I'm on the floor. Like everyone else here,I did not get into avation to push papers around. I'd much rather be outside, not at a desk.

When I came into aviation I had every intention of eventually flying for the airlines. I couldn't afford to finish my ratings until now. But now, seeing all the turmoil with the aviation industry I don't I want to be part of this mess (aviation) anymore. I mean not only are the airlines getting hammered but so is corporate/fractional aviation. I really have no desire to work on airplanes anymore (other than if I buy my own) because of the p!ss poor pay, big liability and the FAA is becoming more stringent on the Mx side. If there's anyonehere thinking to go this route (Mx) to get through the recession- I would recommend against it.

I guess what I'm asking is: Does anyone have any good ideas for a person with my qualifications for jobs outside of aviation? ( I thought about the railroad, but they aren't hiring too much now) Or, jobs in aviation that I haven't thought of that aren't just paper pushers (I know that there's always a little paper-pushing at every job though).

Well everyone, thanks for your input!