View Single Post
Old 05-16-2009, 11:21 AM
EF77
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2008

Originally Posted by 7576FO View Post
The Little Rock crash should not be attributed to OnTime as a cause. It should and properly did go down as "Mission Hacker" The CA had personal reasons to continue.
1. Ego, "I've never crashed yet"
2. "I'm a chief pilot, I'm the best, I can do this"
3."I've got a new FO, I'll show him how to do this"
4."I've got to get to the hotel, i've got things to do"
Sorry to be flippant, but that is what happened.

Even after that at AA I was flying into DFW with a check airman. Wind at DFW was 310 @48 Gust to 56. One runway ops. I was checking wx at everywhere and figuring out where we'd go. The check airman told me "Even if it's over 50 knots we'll still land."
It was 46 when he touched down.
I was too diplomatic with this idiot. I was too nice and gentle. I should have raised a major Hissy-Fit. The wind was above 50 till we were on a 5 mile final.

At AA there is no CRM. The books are all written "The CA will"
At AA Only the CA gets the paperwork.

Never at AA has any CA ever asked me "7576FO did you have time to review the paperwork before we push back?"
I try to review the paperwork but there is not always time. I have found many mistakes. I wonder what one's i've missed.
ALL FO's Globally need to stand up. "Stop! I am not ready. You are rushing! This is an unsafe operation!" That is easy to write, but generally we try to "get along" too much in the cockpit.
I was a CA at a regional for 9 years before American. Yet I still find myself trying to get along, to make the best out of bad situations. Daily I find myself repeating things 3 times. "You are almost at 1,000' and You Do Not have flaps at 30! I am too diplomatic.
I am trying to be honest here and helpful in that we all have room for improvement. I sure do.

Last time I JS'd on SWA both pilots had a copy of the dispatch release for their review.
Yet another reason never to fly on AA.