Thread: Contact Lenses.
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 06:54 AM
EWRflyr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: 737 CAPT

Originally Posted by HectorD View Post
Thank you, I will give contact lenses a try. I however am leaning toward the disposable ones due to the cleanliness. The only issue I can think of is that when I am in college, how will I get new lenses if I run out? How many lenses does one pack of disposable contacts contain? and how much does it cost?
I have been wearing contact lenses for almost 20 years now..since I started flying in college. With the advances in lens technology, they are more comfortable today then ever before and less prone to drying out.

My doctor fitted me with the latest lens a couple of years ago...Acuvue Oasys with Hydraclear by Johnson and Johnson. These are by far the most comfortable lenses I have ever worn in all my years of using contacts. They have been specially designed to increase moisture retention to prevent drying out. That makes them perfect for the dryer air environment pilots experience on a daily basis. Previous lenses I have had to use drops to rewet them during the day. However, these lenses rarely require the use of drops (at least for me). The only time I have found myself using rewetting drops has been at the end of a very long duty/flight day of around 14-16 hours (that never happens at the airlines does it??? LOL). I have an astigmatism in one of my eyes and there are special Oasys lenses for that condition as well. They are good for two weeks and are taken out each night to be cleaned and stored.

Hope this helps. I certainly would recommend talking to your doctor and asking about these lenses specifically.