View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009, 12:16 AM
Archie Bunker
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Brown 747-400

Originally Posted by ERJF15 View Post
A question for those whom have done both. How much different, or same, is flying for Netjets vs a regional carrier? Even though they're not hiring, I sent in a resume to Netjets. How has flying for them been for you?
I can't speak about Netjets vs a regional carrier, but I can tell you about Netjets vs a major airline (Delta and UPS), because I have done all three.

I'm going to explain it to you as simply as I can: They are different worlds.

It's going to depend on what you value most (schedule flexibility, pay, time off, type of flying, job stability) to determine which is the best fit for you.

Do you like people? How do you feel about cleaning/stocking/loading the airplane? What does the phrase "customer service" mean to you? Before you accept a job at Netjets, you'd better be enthusiastic about all the above, because it will be a way of life for you there. In fact, you're not really dealing with customers at Netjets...you're dealing with the aircraft owners!

I found that it was much harder work at Netjets than Delta; much shorter layovers, and less pay. However, the pay issue has changed at Netjets, and it is much better now. Also, considering the benefits, scheduling, and what basically amounts to home basing at Netjets, and you have a very appealing overall package. If you feel that throwing bags, cleaning the plane, dealing with catering, and delivering exceptional customer service is below you, then Netjets is not for you.

I'm at UPS now, and it's the easiest, best paying flying job I've ever had. I routinely have 2 weeks off at a time (sometimes more) depending how I manipulate my schedule, and my world is 1 leg a day international flying (rarely two legs), and a short layover is 24 hours. The downside to UPS is that some people don't like flying at 2 am, and it can be hard on your body if you don't get the rest that your body needs.

Bottom line is...you have to determine which airline best fits your expectations and needs. Good luck.