View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Avroman
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: FIRE ALPA

Originally Posted by Tinpusher007 View Post
I agree with this in theory, but I think the cost of getting an ATP might be cost prohibitive to alot of people. The biggest wallet doesn't equal the best pilot. Perhaps the initial PC should be a PIC type ride for all newhires.

I have argued for that from day one here... I tried to get them to type me as a new hire ( I already had the ATP AND a jet type ) and was told not possible. (this in the Avro sim where you could taxi in the right seat including tiller) I tried to get them to type me on the Saab(and test to keep the circ vmc only off) and was told no on both dispite the obvious impending upgrade for all of us in that and several after classes. I can only imagine how much money was wasted bringing people back into a full 2.5 month class for upgrade within 6 months of initial. Granted I ended up skipping Saab captain but at the bottom of the jet list, with any displacements then instead of 2 sims and a PC it's 2.5 months at 900 pay and a full course cost...... You'd think this would be a great money saving opportunity since how much more would it cost to give the PIC checkride initially? From what I know only Skyway gave the option and Compass just outright does type all FO's.... I know of no other regional (and for that matter majors on the domestic equipment) that will even if requested.

There was actually a manager here that agreed with my thinking but thanks to the bankruptcy those thoughts were instantly crushed......