View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009, 01:10 PM
KC10 FATboy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Legacy FO

As a civilian/military pilot, I find it a bit alarming that you can fly for an airline, but you do not require an ATP license. It isn't called the Airline Transport Pilot license for nothing. Additionally, I think there should be some type of requirement for ensuring that captains meet a certain level of experience before being qualified.

I don't care about "how burdensome" this would be to the industry. Or, "this never would have prevented this crash."

Doctors spend years going through medical school and residencies making sure they are qualified. Here in the US, because of the poor leadership and oversight by the FAA, we have a "training" system that allows shortcuts. Many individuals pay to get quick-rated and even pay some companies to only learn what's on the knowledge tests. These people end up getting certified without ever having to demonstrate that they've mastered their trade.

And I will be honest and say that I indeed used a company to ensure passing the knowledge test. However, it is no wonder that many ICAO countries WILL NOT accept an FAA ATP license because they're a are pretty much worthless.

-Fatty