View Single Post
Old 09-17-2006, 11:35 AM
stanrhintx
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: ERJ-145 FO
Talking Mesa: Please Tell Me Where I'm Wrong

I am very new to this industry. I went through the Mesa Pilot Development Program, and was hired with 300 TT. I now have 160 hours in the ERJ, and it's clear to me that MAPD was originally designed to get someone on to the 1900. Putting people straight onto a jet is skipping a very important step, stick time on the 1900. That being said, I'm grateful the program was there for me. I will do my best, keep a positive attitude and move on when my marketability allows. I happen to love flying, and always assumed a company with a "fast track" program like MAPD wasn't going to be top-of-the-line from the employee's perspective.

Apparently it is my duty to pledge my hatred of Jonathan Ornstein. Why is that? I'm certainly willing to discuss shortcomings of the company, but I'm not willing to participate in spreading rumors I have personally found to be untrue. Don't the low wages at Mesa speak equally, if not more, about the failure of ALPA? Why is all the blame going to Jonathan Ornstein? Does that mean I think he's god and gets off scot-free? Of course not. But isn't it not any CEO's responsibility to get people to do the most work possible for the lowest wages possible? That's the free market, that's competition. It seems to me too many people claim to believe in free markets except when it comes to THEIR industry.

All this said, I don't mean this to come across as hostile to other pilots. I really want to learn and grow in this industry, and it's in that spirit I'm making these comments and asking these questions.

Thanks for your knowledge and experience, and have a great day.