View Single Post
Old 05-23-2009, 09:01 AM
chongololo
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008
Default Has this ever happened to you?

I have to get this off my chest. A few nights ago I flew one of the worst instrument approaches I have ever flown and it's really bugging me.

It was 4am, raining, mist and ceilings at around 800ft. The conditions weren't great but that's no excuse for my terrible perfomance.

I was ahead of the plane, all configured and everything in order until GS intercept. Then it all started going pear-shaped, weaving through the LOC like a drunk driver, way too high on the GS, I just couldn't get the approach stabilized.
I managed to salvage it and landed.

I just sat there thinking about how crappy of an approach I had just made.
I knew all of the things that I did wrong but that still didn't make me feel any better.
So now I'm really annoyed with myself. I feel I need to take the humble approach here and admit that I'm not immune to this sort of thing. I'm not a 'super pilot' by any means and I shouldn't think that it couldn't happen to me.
Being arrogant and not admitting that there was a problem would probably be worse. I don't want to sit around feeling sorry for myself, I want to fix it so that it doesn't happen again.

So tell me that I'm not alone in this. Do you guys go through the same thing once in a while?