View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 07:39 AM
III Corps
No one's home

Joined APC: Aug 2006

Originally Posted by UAL T38 Phlyer View Post
IIICorps:

This pic of the Wyvern here is different from the one in the EF thread-drift: the exhaust isn't under the left side of the cockpit. It appears to be the long horizontal slot on the left side of the engine....which seems odd, as it doesn't look like it has any high-temperature metal there to cope with the exhaust.
From reading, it seems this picture is of a TF-1 which used a RR Eagle PISTON engine. ?? Until now I had never heard of the Eagle engine with due cause in that only 15 were made and they were all used in the Wyvern prototypes.

The Wyvern then was re-engineered to take the Armstrong Siddeley Python turboprop. (lesson for me)

Here is the Wyvern S4. The nose is markedly different. (note: the Brits have almost as arcane a designation series as the old US Navy ones)

But then, I flew the OV-10, and a few of us said it looked like an A-10 and a helicopter had a love-child.
One sortie in the OV-10 out of Hurlburt. In the back seat and I think I lost 50% of my hearing from that one sortie.

The Skyshark: I wonder why Douglas used that hideous canopy instead of the original bubble?
Don't know but is sure kills any vis aft. Again, Joe Baugher writing on a little known airplane.
Douglas XA2D-1 Skyshark

What I also have stumbled on is the Tupolev Tu-91 "Boot" of which there was only one. humbly submitted.. bulldog-butt UGLY.