View Single Post
Old 05-26-2009, 10:21 PM
CA1900
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008

You have to have the actual ATP certificate. It's part of the contracts with our owners that all our pilots are basically "captains," certificate wise. They'll provide the type rating, but the ATP is a prerequisite.

I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said here. One thing I've noticed, compared to my time at a regional, is a dramatic difference in the quality of the hotels. With very rare exceptions, something like a Hampton will be the lowest quality hotel we stay in. Full-service Hiltons, Hyatts, Marriotts, and the like are where we normally stay, as well as some Embassy Suites and Hilton Gardens. There's also not much time waiting on the curb for a hotel van. More often than not, the FBO staff will take you right from your airplane to the hotel. It's nice. Our hotel committee and the company also work to include a full breakfast and internet with the rates at most of our hotels.

Every once in a great while, you'll stay at a crappy place, but that's very rare, and usually only happens if it's the only hotel in a small town. (My first NJA overnight was in a Super 8, no kidding!) Those oddballs are balanced by the occasional resort that's just incredible, and rejuvinates you for a week! I stayed here this past tour; karma was very kind to me. I'm still blown away by how nice it was.

The quality of life on the road has a very direct relationship to my happiness. I hear friends tell me that they can't imagine being gone for seven days at a time. The truth is, I'm more relaxed after a seven-day trip here than even a three-day at my old commuter.