View Single Post
Old 05-31-2009, 05:18 PM
MD11Fr8Dog
...Whatever It Is!

Joined APC: Jul 2006

Originally Posted by CloudSailor View Post
I was unable to think of a better title to the post but, I have a friend who is trying to get some info on becoming a FedEx employee to later, once things turn around, fly for you guys.

Just a few questions for those who have taken that route, if you don't mind answering...

1) Does one have to be employed specifically by FedEx Express to be considered for a pilot slot? Or will say, FedEx Office suffice?
FedEx Express, anything else is a different company.

2) Does the employee get to interview at the completion of the one year of service to the company, in addition to meeting the minimums for hire, regardless of whether the company is hiring pilots or not? Or does the employee have to wait for the company to be actively interviewing/hiring so that he can interview for the pilot slot?
Once you meet the time requirement, I believe it is still one year, AND provided the company is interviewing and hiring, one can then apply for interview if they meet the required minimums - which have been known to change (I have a friend at UPS that this happened to).

3) What happens if the FedEx employee has to move to a different city/state because of his flying job? Is there flexibility for relocating?
The one year requirement, I believe, is the minimum to apply for any job company wide that is listed as open. So, I think you'd have to be the flexible one!

4) What would happen if the employee has to quit, on good terms, from his FedEx job because of his flying job... will he lose all chances for the pilot interview?
No, but he will not interview as an internal applicant, he would have to apply like everyone else. To get hired as an internal, he would have to start all over again as a "box thrower"! However, if he did get hired later, he would get to keep that original employee number, which is nice!

Hiring to the corp flight dept and/or the training dept may have completely different rules and timelines. Someone else will have to speak for that!

Disclaimer: This is all based on how I did it 15yrs ago! YMMV!