View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 05:56 AM
F15Ramps
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: 757 F/O

CloudShipper,

This is a combination of 2 posts I made about 3 years ago on another forum. If it's a little disjointed, I apologize.

I did what you're inquiring about. A little background (sorry in advance for the long post)...

Retired USAF. UAL for 1 1/2 years, furloughed. Consulting work while trying to get back to a flying job. After contacting my USAF friends at FedEx, I decided Purple & Orange was the way to go.

Mid 2004, FedEx would NOT interview furloughed folks (other than US Air on a case by case basis). My sponsor suggested throwing boxes for a period of time (it varies, more on this to follow) and get on board as an internal hire.

Policies change and FedEx is interviewing furloughed folks on a case by case basis. The advantage to being an internal hire is that if you are qualified for a given position and FedEx is hiring into that position, you are guaranteed the interview (provided your record at FedEx to that point is clean & you meet all the qualifications).

I applied and was hired as a courier. A better choice for me (more on this later) then being a handler. 7 months later I was called for the interview. 1 month later I recieved the "You're Hired" call. The system works. Some things to consider...

I remained a courier for 4 more months after being hired. FedEx policy states that you stay in a given job for a minumum of 1 year prior to internally switching positions. This was an easy 4 months, as I knew a large carrot resided at the other end of the tunnel.

Again, in my opinion, being a courier is less routine than tossing boxes (handler) at the airport or local station. If you have other employment, being a handler might be a better fit.

Be careful of the following if you take any of these positions...You WILL sign a letter of commitment (LOC) to that particular station/airport. This committment is usually longer than the 1 year FedEx corporate policy (i.e. 18 months, 24 months, etc). While all these commitment time frames are waiverable, the 1 year corporate policy is not typically waived. The station/airport LOC is waiverable, but is at the discretion of your local manager. Get this ironed out prior to signing on the dotted line. I was very up-front with the manager that hired me and when I was hired to fly, there were no surprises/hard feelings. As a matter of fact, I had a great relationship with my co-workers and supervisors and they were all genuinely very happy for me.

Not flying was definitely a concern I had. My sponsor inquired and let me know that it was a concern for them as well. I immediately began doing some single engine flying at the local airport and would update my on-line application each time I'd fly. It was never even discussed at the interview. I imagine that this topic was/is a hit or miss thing at the interview/meet and great.

With regards to whats happening right now...Strictly in the "I heard" arena, recency is an issue. It is not something directly addressed in the FedEx qualifications section of the web page for applicants (unless that's changed?). I'm sure, however, that the interviewers are looking at it since they have so many "qualified" applicants (i.e. things that separate you from the pack).

Again, just my thoughts.

During my interview process, I received many compliments/thanks for having been a courier. You certainly gain insight to a side of the company that most of our pilot brethren never see. Plus, I dropped 15 pounds running around as a courier! Stay positive and it is an enjoyable experience.

I couldn't be happier with my career choice. Great company, great group of professional aviators.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Ramps