Thread: Career Advice
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2006, 07:58 PM
coryk
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Default Career Advice

Hi all,

I just graduated Navy bootcamp, and am currently going to school to become an engineer in the Navy. My commitment is four years and I plan on doing only those four and getting out to become an airline pilot like I've always planned. I'm 18 now, and will have just turned 22 when I get out. My goal to get on with Skywest by the time I'm 23-23.5. I have a PPL SEL right now, and with this new job I'll have little time to fly as much as I would like, and can't really predict how much I'll be able to get done in these quck four years. I'm really looking into ATP's 3-month flight program, because they are close to home (I'm in Orange County, or was, but will be going back) so I'd dig their RIV facility, but they don't take VA beneifits, and Skymates and Ari both do/are in the process of becoming a Part 141 school.

Anyway, does anyone have any advice on what I guy like me should do? I want to start a "flight fund" savings account now to save some money so I won't need to finance the entire cost of the flight program, and start building an investment portfolio, and begin contributing to some sort of IRA or mutual fund as well. If anyone has any investing ideas for someone in my position, or advice about getting to an airline please reply.

Also, how much are ATP's instructors flying on average during a month? I've been hidden from society the last 2.5 months, but how's life at Skywest these days? Will the EMB-120's be around in about 5 years?

Thanks all!