View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 10:19 AM
Airhoss
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Sleeping in the black swan’s nest.

Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
I graduated from my esteemed university aviation program just before the recession of the early 1990's. 80% of my graduating class never even got their first job as a pilot. I had to move several times. Flight schools were closing all over the place.

For 9 months I choose to live in my truck as I drove across the country in search of a flying job. Eventually a former student and I bought a 150 together and I began to instruct in it while still living in my truck. As a tip students would feed me lunch and let me crash on their couch for a day or two. No joke it was hard times but I was not about to let my dream go.

It took five years before things began to loosen up at the lower levels. I had officially given up, had an apartment and was working as a county firefighter when I received a job offer out of the blue for a flying job. It was a short contract but I did it anyway. Six months later I was back to crashing on peoples couches.

It took me 8 years to get to a regional airline. I was the lowest time guy in my class with 4000 hours.

Skyhigh
That is an AMAZING story!

I had about 4500 hours in 1996 and I was getting one major airline interview after another. I wonder why the difference?

In the early 90's I was in Alaska working my butt off. It sure seemed like there was plenty of demand if you were willing to go where you were needed.