View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 05:45 AM
withthatsaid182
Drinkin' coffee...

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: P-p-piiilatusss

This is what I told my new student the other day that is going down this career path:

Private SEL
Instrument SEL
Commercial SEL
CFI SEL

STOP!

Get a job and start instructing! You may have bought yourself X amount of time in a twin however your first job will (should) be teaching someone how to land in a Cessna 152. The key I feel, is to start getting paid to fly ASAP. Then as time moves on you'll be come a more proficient pilot and be better suited to get the Multi-COmmercial. Plus if you work for a flight school with a twin they will more than likely give you a discount on the flight time!

Thennnnn after about 100 hrs of dual given go on ahead and get the CFII and if the need arises, your MEI. No matter how good you are, you are not good enough that your first student you ever have should be an instrument or a multi-engine student. Learn how to teach. If you cannot be effective teaching stalls in the 152 then how on earth are you going to teach Vmc demo's or night time circling approaches? Going this route will ensure that you give your student the best experience and that you do not get yourself in over your head.

People may argue that having all of your instructor ratings at first makes you more marketable and flexible to fly more. That's great but I do not believe that you will be teaching to your full potential with out gaining some basic experience first.