View Single Post
Old 06-12-2009, 08:16 PM
kalyx522
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: Student Pilot

Originally Posted by Kasserine06 View Post
what I really want to talk about are these mythical time building jobs. First off, I want to say that I believe all 121 should have a minimum of 1000 hours and nothing less. The problem is that it is impossible to go from 250 to 1000. Many of you say, “Tow banners, patrol pipelines, traffic watch, and my favorite, sit right seat in a King Air.” I have looked for all of those, but there is a big problem. They either do not pay enough to live, or their minimums are higher than regionals. Towing banners pays about $8000 a year and will require me to move. I wanted to patrol pipelines, but their minimums where so high I they told me they would let me sit right seat in a 185 for free. Traffic watch does not exist anymore, and where it does, no news company is going to trust their expensive airplane with someone who has less than 1000 hours. I have found someone with a BE90 who would let me sit right seat, but I could not log the time because he does not have his MEI and I don’t think any future employer would like me to log dual given in turbine aircraft when I have zero turbine time. What I have noticed is that all 135 gigs have higher minimums than 121 because no 135 operator wants a VFR only pilot.
you are right, non-CFI time building jobs are much harder to find than CFI positions. But if you really look they ARE out there. I scoured every internet source I could, including climbto350.com and aviation forums like this one. I found numerous postings through climbto350 (example - pipeline in Texas, traffic watch in Illinois, scenic flight in N. Carolina, ferry in Alaska) that were willing to hire my low-time self. You really have to peel your eyes every day for those jobs, they come and go randomly/quickly and you never know when they're gonna pop up. I think I lived in front of the computer when I was looking. Networking in person might be a better idea these days too.
You say those jobs pay too little to live - if that's your problem, how do you expect to live on regional pay once you get there? If you're being picky about taking those time-building jobs because of low pay, you're seriously gonna have to figure something out... because it doesn't get much better at once you become a regional FO. I had my student loans on forebearance while I did aerial survey, and that's how I got through.
I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but it just seems to me like you're not trying hard enough or being pickier than you think you are. All the things you've mentioned, like that no 135 operator would want only a VFR pilot... is simply not true. It'd be HARD to find one, but not impossible. I know, because I've seen them myself when I was in your shoes. oh yeah and you mentioned that you were even willing to go overseas for a CFI position.. I was seriously considering that too, at one point (was extremely desperate). And so I know those exist too... it really is just a matter of how willing you are. No one will blame you if living in China isn't your thing, but then you can't complain that there are absolutely no opportunities.