View Single Post
Old 06-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Kasserine06
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2009
Position: Box Pusher

Originally Posted by kalyx522 View Post
You say those jobs pay too little to live - if that's your problem, how do you expect to live on regional pay once you get there? If you're being picky about taking those time-building jobs because of low pay, you're seriously gonna have to figure something out... because it doesn't get much better at once you become a regional FO. I had my student loans on forebearance while I did aerial survey, and that's how I got through.
I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but it just seems to me like you're not trying hard enough or being pickier than you think you are. All the things you've mentioned, like that no 135 operator would want only a VFR pilot... is simply not true. It'd be HARD to find one, but not impossible. I know, because I've seen them myself when I was in your shoes. oh yeah and you mentioned that you were even willing to go overseas for a CFI position.. I was seriously considering that too, at one point (was extremely desperate). And so I know those exist too... it really is just a matter of how willing you are. No one will blame you if living in China isn't your thing, but then you can't complain that there are absolutely no opportunities.
I am sorry, but $8000 a year does not go far in Miami especially when the realistic working hours where 30 to 40 hours a week (they wanted me to hang around the office until they found things for me to do). I would love to be making regional pay. The only thing I want is to make enough money to eat. I would jump at the opportunity to live in a tent surveying land in the Midwest, but there are not too many places to set one up in Miami so I would need an apartment.

I have been combing the web and local airports for over 8 months and I have not found a job. I applied to ferry/CFI in China, but they wanted me to speak Chinese. A jump school even turned me down because they require 15 hours in make and because my 182 time is in glass and theirs is not glass, they wanted me to pay 155 an hour until I have 15 hours steam gauge C182. I am working as a day laborer so I can save up money so that I can get that time and re apply next year. I also bought a ticket to Seattle to fly a 172 for 200 hours for $80 a day and a bed, but the guy changed his mind 6 hours before I got on the plane. Last week I even chased down a low flying J-3 to a private airport and begged the pilot to let me fly and he said he would have to check with his insurance company. I am not lazy, I do not expect a job to fall to my lap, and I am not holding out for a pipeline job that pays $18,000. I simply want a job where the salary=food and rent.

Also, please tell me about VFR 135 jobs. Flying bank checks or cargo would be a dream, but the places I have gone want to hire someone who can fly IFR. I have looked on all the jobs websites and I have found nothing. The airports I have gone to want 1200 hours. Where do you find the small 135 operators?