View Single Post
Old 06-13-2009, 04:37 PM
kronan
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: 757 Capt

Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
Are the following statements true?

1) Once given a callsign, it usually is not changed unless there has been extenuating circumstances?

2A) A pilot does not get to pick his own callsign, but it is picked for him?

2B) The callsign is picked by his squadron mates and not his elderly, spinster auntie?

3) No two pilots share the same callsign. In other words, we all know that Maverick is Tom Cruise and not one of you guys.

4) Someone out there has a callsign of "Rug Doctor?"

5) Almost all callsigns are monosyllabic grunts, so easy even a Caveman can say it?
1. Used to be true. But, changed to an extent in the mid-90s. There was a IG complaint about verbiage in a doofer log and they all went away. IMO it was the start of the SNAP era (Sensitive New Age Pilot) I know of an incident where the Sq CC reverted a C/S back to a kinder/gentler C/S after an individuals gross act of buffoonery. Rest of the tour the dinosaurs called him "Mr" while the SNAPs used his kinder/gentler C/S

2A. Know plenty of guys who've tried to pick their C/S. Some succeeded, most failed. Not sure about life in the new era though.

2B. Unless your elderly, spinster Aunt is Jennifer Anniston. Don't know any self respecting fighter pilot who would use the C/S his spinster Aunt suggested.

3. I've been in orgs where there were Chunks the elder and Chunks JR.

4. Never met a "Rug Doctor", but, I've met many a Peter G. Oeszinia, or Ben D. Over

5. Monosyllabic is the trend for radio brevity. But, you've got to be careful about insulting cavemen by comparing them to pilots
Shouldn't waste all the money you saved on car insurance by switching to GEICO