View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 06:38 AM
GrUpGrDn
C21H30O2

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: L/R or workin' the panels!

Originally Posted by gpatelzick View Post
Hello all -

I hope this is the best place for this post. I am a relatively new member with this being my first post.

I am 46 years old, just lost my construction company and am basically starting over. I have been flying about 5 yrs and just got all my ratings (CFI,CFII,MEI) and am trying to get into the industry for a career change. Let me preface this with the fact that I am well aware of the crisis we are in and have a LLOOOOONG road ahead of me. Luckily my wife is going to nursing school and since she's 9 yrs younger - she can make the money for a while. Also, I have taught every "hobby or passion" I have ever done, and I like the idea of always learning and continued education. I would have probably been a CFI even if I didn't have to time build.

Anyway, enough of the intro....my question is this. I have been trying to educate myself with this industry and all of it's intricacys. I read several threads and am rather overwhelmed at all the things to learn. I thought I had to learn abreviations for my pilot certs....for *&^* sake, I can't always seem to follow everything. Can someone give me some help with threads or things to read about: how the union works, why it sucks or doesn't suck, who the key players are, why they suck or don't suck, who are the good/bad airlines and why, what is "scope" and why is it going down the toilet, RJ vs. Major or legacy, how many seats???, why are they bad/good etc. You get the idea.

This is only the tip of the iceberg. Is there somewhere I can learn the HUGE amount of lingo and jargen without reading every thread in this whole forum. Books or articles would be apreciated too.

Again, I apologize in advance for the long rambling question, but the bottom line is...I LOVE to fly, always have ... always will, and I want to make educated decisions on the issues that will effect my AND your futures.

Ok - I'm done.

Greg Patelzick
CFII / MEI / AGI / IGI
Tailwheel
As you have previously learned from F.O.I. knowledge cannot be poured into your head. You have time on your hands, go through all the posts, and the aviation world will be opened for you, bit by bit. And I agree with O.J., the glove dont fit.....