View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 04:30 PM
block30
Bracing for Fallacies

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: In favor of good things, not in favor of bad things

[quote=For my son;630673]
Originally Posted by block30 View Post
More accurate than we all would like to admit. There are a lot of jobs where a person is responsible for the lives of many others at one instant. Let's not kid ourselves.

You know what? I bet you if you went to any high school in this country or any other for that matter, that you would find an aboundance of young , inexperienced and underqualified people to say "Yes Sir!" if you asked them "would any of you like to enter a fast track program to become a doctor?". I doubt there would be much argument about that; but as to your statement that this is a "free market"; well, I just can't let this go.... In a "free market", businesses that don't make a profit FAIL! Not so in the airline industry; bankruptcy laws and government intervention are almost commonplace. In most other types of businesses, employers must deal with labor unions head on; but not so in the airline business, due to the government imposed Railway Labor Act; and its ridiculous, outrageously, outdated restrictions on labor to resort to self help in a timely fashion. This results in labor's hands being tied while companies take their time in conducting their routine business and legal retaliations against them, without any regard to labor's valid right to share in a company's success. I have not known a labor group to ignore a company's validated need for pay concessions, minus the ones who truely tried to greedily take advantage of thier particular situation. Please take my post into consideration.
Do you think I applaud what is happening in this industry? No.

But if a company can pay Joe Blow less to do the same job, they will, and DO. Telling the government to step in goes against a free market by definition. Until the airlines are re-regulated, airlines are going to be paying crap as long as the supply of Shiny Jet Syndrome pilots is high.

ALSO----I'm saying a part of the problem is a lot of Joe Blow's with Shiny Jet Syndrome trampling over each other to take that job.

Don't over-complicate what I said.

Last edited by block30; 06-18-2009 at 04:58 PM.