View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 04:54 PM
block30
Bracing for Fallacies

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: In favor of good things, not in favor of bad things

Originally Posted by Kingjay View Post
Heck! I would love to be a surgeon! and i would do it for $16000...heck... I would actually do it for free for awhile.

would that be safe?? would that be legal?? I think the issue is that it is WAY to easy to be a pilot with the current requirements.
The doctors I know DO NOT make anywhere near $16,000, so I say a RESOUNDING NO to you. The market for surgeons as you say, is dictating WAAAAAY more. I DO know pilots making about $16,000, and therefore I argue the market is dictating that number and has been for some time.

Shiny Jet Syndrome motivates people to work for less. That's a huge part of the problem; A WILLINGNESS to work for nothing. I am NOT making this up.

I agree that 121 FOs should comply with ATP mins for reasons of safety. A fresh 250 hour commercial goes against the very spirit and duty of 121 regulations in my mind. But I'm not sure if ATP mins alone would drive up pilot wages appreciably. Pilots are still going to be desperate to bolt for the regionals as soon as they get the ATP ticket.

Unless the government steps in, the market can afford to pay nothing to pilots. Do we need to look further than our current situation as evidence?