View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 08:58 AM
Sniper
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006

There are a good deal of assumptions that need to be questioned:
  • Why do we have 12, 15, or even 30 year rates (Evergreen)? Why not have 2 year rates with a CPI type increase after year 2?
  • Most all of the 'increases' from year 2 through year 12, 15, 30, etc. in current contracts represent a loss in purchasing power. Why should a 2nd year pilot have the highest purchasing power, and 30 year CA's have the least? Why not have an automatic pay increase to keep purchasing power (like NetJets)?
  • Why get paid hourly - lets set the pay rate, and then go to work for that rate.
  • Why not have FO pay based on a formula, say 65% of CA pay? Why bargain 2 different pay rates?

I'd like to see something much simpler.

50 Seat Jet/Turboprop CA Year 1: ?
50 Seat Jet/Turboprop CA Year 2: $73,000

<70 Seat Jet CA Year 1: ?
<70 Seat Jet CA Year 2: $125,000

NB/WB CA year 1: ?
NB/WB CA year 2: $195,000

$2.00 domestic per diem, $2.50 international. Goes up 3% a year.

CA pay goes up 3% a year (mode CPI increase over the last 30 years). Sometimes you'll lose $, like in 1980 when CPI went up 10%. Sometimes you'll make $, like in 2009, when CPI went down 1%. Overall, you keep your buying power. No increase in buying power, but no losses like EVERY airline pilot is taking right now as their longevity increases.

FO is 65% of CA pay.

Rate is fixed. You 'hoar' yourself out to the company and fly, you get more per diem. You work the schedule somehow so that you are home every day - good for you. You cost the same as every other pilot. No need for all the fancy 'featherbedding' of block or better, rigs, guarantees, etc. You get paid the same each year, just adjusted for inflation. No more, no less.

The pay rates are based on:
  • 50 Seat: Mesa, Skywest, Eagle, XJet, and Republic rates (go 1/2 way up the scale, to year 6 if there are 12 year rates) and NetJet FO rates
  • <70 Seat: NetJet's 8 year payrates (1/2 way up the scale), and JetBlue's 6 year 190 pay (1/2 way up the scale @ 78 hours).
  • NB/WB: NetJet's BBJ CA payrates @ year 7, CO's average CA pay from 1983 as cited in Hard Landing, Cathay Pacific S-Capt Year 1 rate, Southwest Year 6 CA rate, average of AA year 6 CA rate, and UPS Year 6 CA rate

All hourly figures are based on 78 hours/month.

I also had to make a concession to the industry - 50 seat jets and turboprops are 'entry level' flying for professional pilots today (yes, there are exceptions, like Horizon). A new CA can live comfortably on $73K a year today, which is right around where the median RJ CA is anyway, and a touch more than a 1/2 scale NetJet FO makes.

Now, I want you to think about this - are my payrates (73K for RJ CA, 125K for E190 CA, 195K for NB/WB CA) too low, or too high?

Seriously. Answer that for yourself. Now go to my next post.

Last edited by Sniper; 06-24-2009 at 09:28 AM. Reason: wh0re is a bad word