Old 06-25-2009, 08:41 PM
SteamJet
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2006

Originally Posted by atpwannabe View Post
The ship analogy was a broad generalization; granted, however, I firmly believe economically speaking, we will be in a better position in the next few years than what we were just a few short years ago. I am fully aware that not all of the present administration's proposals on stabilizing the economy are going to be readily accepted, nor do I think that the President and his advisors will be able to fully address all that ails the economy in four years. It's going to take much longer. There will be some tweaking along the way.

President Obama has some of the best and brightest minds surrounding himself. Geithner, Volker, Emanuel, Holder and Gates. Not to mention that he's no slouch either; teaching constiutional law for 12 years, President of the Harvard Law Review and list is long and distinguished. Again, I think that initially the govenment is going to have to step in and regulate, and that as the economy recovers and the private sector begins to stabilize and then grow, government oversight and intervention will decrease to a point that will support sustained economic growth.

atp
I feel so much better now. If I had only heretofore realized what a genius he and his advisors were.

Seriously, it's clear you think he's the cat's pajamas. I have no problem with that. I was hoping you could come up with a better defense of how we're going to spend our way out of the mess we're in than:

"I firmly believe economically speaking, we will be in a better position in the next few years than what we were just a few short years ago."

Economically speaking, I firmly believe that if I was already in a ton of debt and then doubled or tripled my rate of spending I'd eventually go broke.

Again, I'm not looking for an argument on how brilliant (or not) Mr. Obama or his advisors are. The relevant question is "what are his policies going to do to the economy?"

Your confidence in the Obama team seems to give you comfort. His economic policies give me none - unless someone can explain them to me in a rational (concrete) fashion.