Old 06-28-2009, 06:22 PM
BoredwLife
First Rule of Fight Club

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: My seat smells like cat pee

Originally Posted by NoyGonnaDoIt View Post
There is no gray area about this at all. It's been clear as a bell for years.

While you may need the endorsement in order to log PIC, this endorsement is just like any other when it comes to logging PIC as sole manipulator under 61.51(e)(1)(i) - at least a recreational certificate with the appropriate category and class (and type if applicable) ratings. No other requirements. None. Zip.

Of course that's only the FAA. If you maintain your logbook for a bunch of employers who make up their own rules rather than follow the FAA's, you're on your own.
Actually, you need to read your referenced Regulation a little more closely. The exact Reg says;
e) Logging pilot-in-command flight time. (1) A sport, recreational, private, or commercial pilot may log pilot-in-command time only for that flight time during which that person—
(i) Is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated or has privileges;

I am a little confused on NoyGonnaDoIts response, first you say that

While you may need the endorsement in order to log PIC,
Then you go on to say

The FAA says you =can= log PIC in a high performance complex pressurized tailwheel without any of those endorsements.
Clairfy...

As for my response, you can't have privileges until you have the endorsment, so the answer is NO you cannot log it as PIC until you get the endorsement. Just like you can't log PIC in a complex until you get the endorsement.