View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 03:27 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Good question. I have tried to block off Friday PM through Monday AM, but my company only does whole days for mil leave, so I just take off four days. On my leave form I note that I have added a travel/rest day on each end so as to avoid issues with not actually drilling on those days. My domicile and duty station are about 1000 miles apart.

Technically, they have to give you enough time to travel to/from and get 8 hours rest before work (going each way). I'm not 100% sure on the eight hours, but they cannot force you to finish drill Sunday night, drive all night and be at work at 0700 Monday. These rules are generic, not airline specific but obviously it would be an FAR violation to come to work after an all night commute anyway.

I think a reasonable plan would be Noon Friday to Noon Monday for Sat/Sun drills. If you drill Fri PM, then Thurs midnight to Monday noon. This assumes adequate flight availability.

Flight availability could be a grey area...I like some backups in case I get bumped as a nonrev, but I suppose a company could insist that you use the last available flight which allows for adequate rest. I doubt they would get that far into your business though.

My experience has been that employers (even bad ones) will back down if you call their bluff. Try to be reasonable, educate them on the requirements, but don't take their crap. In the current environment, they will lose and they know it. Advise your CO if you have any issues, so he can at least expect a phone call and will be prepared to back you up.

Salty?