View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 04:34 AM
WorldTraveler
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008

Originally Posted by III Corps View Post
Our -23 was an early one and the autopilot NEVER worked. NEVER. So we hand flew it all the time.

We had a -24 for a while and a -25. You're right about the -25 compared to the others but still at its time, they were all screamers.

I've told this before but an old copilot of mine went with American and ferried a 767 out of ORD one winter night with fuel to dest and reserve, nothing else. About 8 minutes from brake release to FL410. That would outrun not only most of the bizjets but also many of the early jet fighters.. all while having a cup of coffee and sitting on a soft seat.

There are a few -24s in and out of PDK including one all BLACK one. ???

Yeah, I forgot about the old autopilots. The one in our hot rod 24 didn't work either. Years later, I flew for an airline where one of the captains was on old time non autopilot lear guy. He'd make all the copilots hand fly the airplane just like he had to in his early lear days. I, being a fellow lear jet fraternity member, was allowed use of the A/P.

You're right about the performance of modern twin jet airliners. amazing capabilities but without the "Fear Jet" factor. tell ya' the truth, after 3000 hours in Lears I was glad to get out of the airplane. Flying it was like balancing a broomstick on your finger and we were constantly min fuel everywhere.

Still, though. The most beautiful airplane I've ever flown and the source of my best hangar flying lies, errrrr, I mean stories.