View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 07:07 AM
KC10 FATboy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Legacy FO

Originally Posted by XHooker View Post
How do you guys use ILS/LOC/VOR in air refueling?
Originally Posted by UAL T38 Phlyer View Post
Perhaps KC-10 FatBoy means the KC-10 flew down a Tacan final for a low-approach to the carrier....

or:

He is referring to the fact that the KC-10 is a flying Tacan-station, which gives both bearing and DME (the KC-135 only gives DME).
There have been at least two accidents/incidents (that I know of) during fighter drags where the tanker crew was unaware that the fighter's weather minimums and/or instrument approach capability was different from USAF. During the flights, the tanker crews received reports that navigational equipment had failed and/or the weather deterioated below fighter capability / mininums. Unfortunately, that information was never given to the fighter crew because it wasn't perceived to be a problem. All jets have ILS's right? No, not USN/USMC.

With the procedures and training we have in place today, this type of accident, although very preventable, can and most likely will happen again.

I must admit, the USAF seemed conservative in fighter movements whereas the USN/USMC was not. And both groups always assumed we had plenty of gas.

During one USMC fighter drag that I participated in, the fighters didn't have any divert airfields for two consecutive air refueling sessions. The first AR was over Gander (just before coasting out). There were no usuable diverts north of Maine due to an unusually strong coastal winter storm which was actually producing sustained hurricane force winds. Yet, they decided to go ahead with the fighter drag.