View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 07:50 AM
Sniper
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006

Originally Posted by BOYCAPTAIN
just talked to an old friend who is a jumpseat chairman for a legacy carrier...he said as long as it is not malicious it is no problem...
If you cancel your ticket and jumpseat on the same flight to build your bank, but you did it out of ignorance, therefore "unmaliciously", it's still ok? I disagree. Intent does not excuse action, it just mitigates it.

Originally Posted by R1200RT
As I've said I told the ticket agent and the pilots that carried me exactly what I was doing and why.
So, if the ticket agent (who usually knows nothing about jumpseating) and the PIC agree it's ok, it's ok? Again, I disagree. The PIC could be a non-commuter, or could be the jumpseat chairman for the airline.

The only taboo I see is to jumpseat on a flight you hold a revenue ticket for. Past that if it makes your life better and there is a seat open it's OK.
What about if you have a ticket on the next flight, but you get in early. You cancel the ticket on the next flight, bank it, and jumpseat home. Still ok?

RO is on these boards. Hopefully, he'll respond internally.

To me, it's a grey area, though 'R1200RT' certainly didn't try to violate the protocol, and certainly made more than a reasonable effort to stay within compliance. I wish more pilots would do this.