View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 08:57 PM
RJSAviator76
Gets Weekend Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2007

Originally Posted by ⌐ AV8OR WANNABE View Post
Well, that alone is a great argument FOR having a union...

I don’t care who you are, if you move to a different airline you shouldn’t be getting ahead of the line just because of where you worked before…

Those who say “experience” and not seniority should control equipment awards, upgrades, etc. don’t realize that in reality it’s not about experience but about kissing your supervisors’ butts that helps you moving up in a company without a seniority system…
Do you not see how that is bringing down your wages and value as an airline pilot? For example, what's better for you, a 40% paycut, or 80% paycut if you have to start over? The management can port their "skills" and rape and pillage various airlines, and leave you holding a bag because you're restricted by "seniority" and NOTHING ELSE matters to you. Because of that mentality... you are a number, you are a liability, you're a union monkey... Here's another reason - union pilots forget it's about people/cargo, etc.

I'm one of those who says that "EXPERIENCE" and not seniority should control many aspects - pay being one of the most important ones. If you are a 2000 hour RJ pilot... I'm sorry, but if Sully comes to your airline, THE CUSTOMER, be it passenger or cargo or VIP, deserves the best qualified pilot being in charge. Do you think you serve customer needs the best with a seniority system that's built entirely around the date of hire? I don't.

Here's another one - personal experience. Several years flying Boeings, regional captain before that.... my airline goes under. Should I fly for 20k again? I'm sorry... I value my professional worth a little more than that, and as a result, I get paid appropriately for my experience, not for my date of hire. I didn't and don't have to kiss anyone's butt. I negotiated my contract, and I take pride in being a PROFESSIONAL and getting paid as one.

As a union pilot, how can you demand to be treated like a professional when you're just a number whose worth is determined not by experience or some other measurement, but only by date of hire? In other words... why should anyone pay you or treat you like a professional when you, yourself, don't treat or regard yourself or your peers as professionals in a true sense?

Last edited by RJSAviator76; 07-03-2009 at 09:08 PM.