View Single Post
Old 07-05-2009, 03:18 PM
250 or point 65
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008

Oh, sorry, one more thing. As far as practicing decision making, as stupid as it sounds, the FAA's DECIDE model is really really good. Although we may not be breaking up each decision we make in life by each letter in the acronym, every good decision has all the elements of the DECIDE model.

Particularly when I make a decision, especially when in the cockpit or buying electronics, my goal is to get as much PERTINENT information as possible. I don't know how many times I've seen captains make snap decisions when one wasn't necessary when they could have taken 30 seconds to gather some additional information.

Here's an example. We had our anti-ice system fail in flight while in icing. The obvious decision is to get out of icing conditions, but the captain was trying to make an additional decision for which he needed to know if there was ice on the wings. He started freaking out because he couldn't see the wings from the cockpit. I suggested that we ask the Jumpseating pilot in 12A if he saw any ice. Within 30 seconds we coordinated with the FA to calmly ask the pilot and she returned back with the necessary information.

Gather information, use your resources, and take a deep breath.